Our curriculum at Tollbar Academy reflects the Academy's aim for all our students to get the best possible start to life, whatever their ability, talents or preferred learning style.
There is a very strong emphasis on the core skills of English, Grammar, Mathematics, Science and ICT as well as excellent facilities for performing arts, sport and technology. The broad curriculum leads to qualifications which are sought and valued by universities all over the world. We have a dedicated team of teachers who develop the personal, social and citizenship elements of the curriculum, and there is frequent access to additional support and mentoring for any student in any subject.
Tollbar Academy students enjoy an innovative, broad and balanced curriculum that prepares them for adult life.
- Our curriculum is designed to be flexible to allow for personalised learning.
- All students complete the Key stage 3 curriculum in two years - years 7 and 8
- Key stage 4 will last for three years - Years 9,10 and 11.
- Students can then choose to continue their education in the Sixth Form which offers a broad range of Academic A-Levels
Curriculum Key stage 3 (Year 7 & 8)
Students are arranged as follows:
- There are 5 bands, with band 5 containing the most able students and band 1 containing those students who require additional support
- All five bands are set for their lessons independently for most subjects eg a child may be in set 1 for Maths and set 3 for English
- Opportunities exist at all times for movement between bands.
Students study subjects as follows:
|Year 7||Year 8|
|Spelling and Grammar Tutorial||Spelling and Grammar Tutorial|
|Spanish (Bands 4 & 5 only)||Physics|
|Functional Skills Tutorial (Bands 1, 2 & 3 only)||French|
|Geography||Spanish (Bands 4 & 5 only)|
|History||Functional Skills Tutorial (Bands 1, 2 & 3 only)|
|Business Studies (Band 4 & 5 Only)||RE|
|Art||Business Studies (Band 1, 2 & 3 Only)|
Curriculum Year Key Stage 4 (Years 9, 10 & 11)
Students are offered a broad range of subjects which meets the national Curriculum requirements.
Students in bands 3, 4 and 5 are also given the opportunity to take subjects which ensures they can qualify for the English Baccalaureate certificate.
The curriculum is under constant review in order to meet the needs of students and the requirements and the DfE.
Students are given careful guidance in year 8 before they make their option choices for the start of year 9.
Curriculum Key Stage 5 (Years 12 & 13)
Students have the opportunity to continue their education at Tollbar by studying a range of academic A-Levels at our thriving 6th Form.